The Woodlands Music Ensemble is an adapted group experience for Children, Youth, Teens and Adults with disabilities. Individuals expand their talents by playing a variety of instruments while working with peers. The group learns many music skills including song writing, music reading, and music performance, while having fun working with friends and creating music. The woodlands Music Ensemble is an extension of the Notes From the Heart Music Camp. Participants will engage in vocal, instrumental instruction, culminating in opportunities to perform.
Music Ensemble Goals:
- Promote group cohesion in facilitated music-making experiences with peers.
- Increased participation and involvement in a group setting.
- Establish and foster relationships with peers.
- Enhance social skills (verbal and nonverbal) through musical modalities such as instrument playing, vocal work, and creative design of the program performances.
- Increase self-esteem through rehearsal and performance opportunities.
- Increase opportunities for self-expression through music interventions.
- Expand cognitive development through understanding, recognition, and application of music theory.
- Increase impulse control by following musical cues and directives in an ensemble setting.
- Increase stamina and endurance.
- Develop and/or improve the use of fine motor skills.
- Participate in concerts.
- Enhance quality of life of participants.
Beginning September 2016, sessions will be held on Monday evenings, 6:30pm – 8:00pm in The Jewel.
2017 Program Dates
January: 23 & 30
February: 6, 13, 20, & 27
March: 6, 13, 20, & 27
April: 3, 10, 17, & 24
September: 18 & 25
October: 2, 9, 16, 23, & 30
November: 6, 13, 20, & 27
2017 Performance Dates:
April 22 – Woodlands Day
December 8 at 8:00pm – Performing at The Woodlands with Northgate Choir
December 16 at 1:30pm – Woodlands Holiday Concert