April 21, 2018
10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.Sign Up TODAY!
Come build lasting memories together as a WHOLE family! For this unique experience, The Woodlands’ warm and caring staff, in partnership with Hope Grows, provides families with a getaway from their everyday distractions to focus on the unique qualities each member brings to the family. The Woodlands Family Camping experiences are created to bring families, siblings, caretakers, and guardians, which include a child or adult with disabilities or chronic illnesses, together for a retreat of respite, support, and fun. They will meet and fellowship with other families who face similar concerns.
Hope Grows is a Pittsburgh-based nonprofit that provides an environment to empower caregivers to seek wellness of mind, body, and spirit through counseling, education, supportive services, and therapeutic respite opportunities. Hope Grows’ approach incorporates nature and gardening in their therapeutic model of mental health therapy and support groups, as well as therapeutic respite and short break programming.
During the Family Camping experience, caregivers and siblings will have the morning to participate in the fun adapted activities during The Woodlands’ annual Backyard Bash Festival, which includes our Music Ensemble performance and a nature walk. In the afternoon, the participants (and siblings) will have the opportunity to enjoy Backyard Bash adapted activities with the guidance and supervision of a Woodlands’ counselor including:
- a scavenger hunt
- field games
- arts and crafts
Families and caregivers will also appreciate sharing both lunch and dinner with their child/loved ones, as they participate in unique activities created for their specific needs.
While their loved ones are partaking in fun activities in the afternoons, families and caregivers will partake in Hope Grows’ facilitated activities:
- Horticultural Therapy – the process of using plants, gardening, and the closeness we all feel towards nature to cultivate wellness
- mental health counseling
- support groups
- psycho-education for individuals and families who serve as caregivers, both personally and professionally
This support provides a network to encourage caregivers to process the mind, body, and spiritual stress associated with the role of caregiver and enhances skills to care for their care recipients.
Family Camping provides a dynamic, specially designed, experience that’s created to refresh and strengthen families who live with disability – offering a change of pace where they can have fun together in a safe and accepting environment.
10:00-10:30 Check-in and Welcome
10:30-11:00 Group Activity
- Quad Games & Face Painting
- Nature walk: Spend a little time de-stressing, relaxing, and reflecting on yourself and your own needs.
12:00-12:15 Personal Care Break
12:15-1:00 Family Lunch
- 1:00-1:30 Backyard Bash Art Activity
- 1:30-2:00 Backyard Bash Sports Activity
- 2:00-3:00 Music Ensemble Performance
- 3:15-3:50 Backyard Bash Carnival Games
- Respite provides temporary relief so that “you” the caregiver can take a short break. By participating in the Hope Grows therapeutic model, caregivers can begin to relieve stress, restore energy, and promote balance.
- 1:00-2:00 Stress & Gratitude – small group discussion
- 2:00-2:30 Self-Guided Environmental Scan
- 2:30-3:30 Integrative Techniques
- 3:30-4:00 Integrative Environmental Scan
- Campers: Siesta
- Caregivers: Peer Support Processing Session
5:00-5:45 Family Dinner
- 5:45-6:00 Get ready for Swimming
- Caregiver Breakouts:
- 6:00-7:00 The Art of Movement
- 7:00-8:00 Your Choice: Aromatherapy or Horticulture
- Campers: SWIMMING (or Alternative Activity)
- Caregiver: continue breakout sessions